You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 89 replies
and has been read 7.197 times
 Reviews of texts and concerts
pages 1 | ... 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Al Moritz Offline

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:54 pm
#71 RE: DONNERSTAG aus LICHT in Basel June 2016 reply

Thanks for the info, Christian.

This is unfortunate. If it is true that there is dissent within the Stiftung it would not surprise me. I think the streaming should take place. Yes, the production may not be perfectly following the composer's intentions, but the overall outcome is still more than compelling enough that streaming the event can only benefit the perception of Stockhausen's work.

ipar1306 Offline

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:45 pm
#72 RE: DONNERSTAG aus LICHT in Basel June 2016 reply

I think we all learn most through open and respectful discussion. I know I have, as I have listened to the differing perspectives on this production. I think it would be a shame to lessen the opportunity for people to see and hear this staging of this work that is, as we all lament, so rarely staged. The boldness, commitment and artistry of everyone involved has been extraordinary. I understand and respect the views of those who see the results as contrary to the work's essence, even though that is not my own view. But I, like all of us, like even Stockhausen himself, we are always learning, always discovering things we had not anticipated. I think the streaming of this production will encourage that learning. It will encourage discussion. It will send people back to the scores, back to Stockhausen's writings, back to exploring what it is within the music, and within themselves, that matters most. I might be less keen to advocate this were it not for what I believe to be the incredible sincerity, creativity and talent of everyone involved. They have, I believe, created something extraordinary, something that is worth seeing, hearing and discussing. And, yes, debating too. With artists of this standard, it would be a shame, I believe, not to seize the opportunity they have given us.

Al Moritz Offline

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:15 pm
#73 RE: DONNERSTAG aus LICHT in Basel June 2016 reply

Very well said, Ian.

Christian Offline

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:26 am
#74 RE: DONNERSTAG aus LICHT in Basel June 2016 reply

Kathinka informed me that she is in favour of the streaming but other in the foundation's board are not. A difficult situation for all involved. On Saturday and Sunday will take place a Stockhausen symposium in Basel, I will attend and I'm curious whether the whole streaming thing will be a topic, too.
Perhaps it would be a compromise if only the sound would be streamed... for that the musical quality is fantastic is nothing anyone would disagree with, I guess... But of course I don't think that for the Basel opera this would be a satisfying solution.

Al Moritz Offline

Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:15 pm
#75 RE: DONNERSTAG aus LICHT in Basel June 2016 reply

I wrote an email to Suzanne and Kathinka in favor of streaming.

ipar1306 Offline

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:04 am
#76 RE: DONNERSTAG aus LICHT in Basel June 2016 reply

It seems that an agreement has been able to be found after all, and the streaming will go ahead. As I understand it, it will be both audio and visual. I think this is a good outcome for everyone.

ipar1306 Offline

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:40 am
#77 RE: DONNERSTAG aus LICHT in Basel June 2016 reply

May I just add, by the way, that I think it is now the responsibility of all of us who care about this music to see ths as an opportunity, a call even, to continue to engage in open and respectful discussion and debate about not just DONNERSTAG, but about all of Stockhausen's works. We should never forget how much we have to learn. Controversies and differences are sure to keep arising, and I believe this is a good thing as long as we learn to listen, and from that learn to learn.

Al Moritz Offline

Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:50 pm
#78 RE: DONNERSTAG aus LICHT in Basel June 2016 reply

Zitat von ipar1306 im Beitrag #76
It seems that an agreement has been able to be found after all, and the streaming will go ahead. As I understand it, it will be both audio and visual. I think this is a good outcome for everyone.

Excellent news about the streaming, thanks for the reporting, Ian. Enjoy the performances!

ipar1306 Offline

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:04 pm
#79 RE: DONNERSTAG aus LICHT in Basel June 2016 reply

Thank you Albrecht. Here is an article about the resolution of the dispute:

http://www.srf.ch/news/regional/basel-ba...och-stattfinden

Christian Offline

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:30 pm
#80 RE: DONNERSTAG aus LICHT in Basel June 2016 reply

I see the agreement with mixed emotions. I'm happy for all who cannot come to Basel to have the opportunity to watch the opera streamed. But I'm also frustrated because it will be sold as a victory of those who find this interpretation so wonderful.
Watching this whole conflict I noticed how still deeply hurt I am about this - in my eyes - totally wrong interpretation by Lydia Steier. And I know many who share these emotions. Where is their place to be heard? With the prize the opera got by the journal "Opernwelt" the Hooray about this takes no end - go to the social media. I'm in journalism and I know quite well that those who are sad, angry, frustrated, hurt have nearly no chance to be heard in this overwhelming enthusiasm. Prove: All the reports of the last days only quoted the pro-streaming side, no opponent was asked to give a statement. My last hope is the foundation's statement that is said to be published on the streaming side tomorrow.
I must say I felt terrible after the 9/11 scandal in Hamburg. But at that time Stockhausen was still alive and could defend himself against the mean attacks. Who will defend his work now when even the foundation seems to be divided?
Sorry for having expressed a very deep frustration... and thanks for reading this.

pages 1 | ... 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
 Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software