You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 5 replies
and has been read 579 times
 Reviews of texts and concerts
Christian Offline

Mon May 12, 2014 2:51 pm
Leopoldo Siano's book on KLANG reply

Though it was announced that Leopoldo Siano's book on KLANG is available now it seems to be impossible to order it via amazon or book stores. They cannot find the title. A call at the editor (Verlag Der Apfel) in Vienna is also without any success because no one is answering. Does anyone have an idea where/how to get it - or am I the only one who has these problems??? It's rather strange...

Ulrich Offline

Mon May 12, 2014 3:46 pm
#2 RE: Leopoldo Siano's book on KLANG reply

Yes, it is strange. I have the ISBN-No here: 978-3-85450-419-1 I just gave it to Google with no result. And also on the website of the publisher www.verlagderapfel.at it is not to be found. Leopoldo kindly sent it to me, so it is in fact published; maybe the publisher needs some more weeks to spread the news; Leopoldo said that he finished the manuscript in autumn 2013 and that it took months till he got his copies. In Austria often a lot of patience is needed...

Adorján Offline

Mon May 12, 2014 3:53 pm
#3 RE: Leopoldo Siano's book on KLANG reply

I am so lucky to have the book in my hands as a gift and I am just reading it. Leopoldo Siano boldly tries to look at Stockhausen as a historical figure, seven years after his death. He looks at him as a „phenomenon of cultural history“. This is risky but he succeeds. The book is very interesting and it is a pity what Christian writes. But it fits well to what Leopoldo Siano told me about the editor. No care, no assistance. So I hope that Leopoldo Siano is reading this blog and can tell where to buy his book.

Leopoldo Offline

Mon May 12, 2014 9:51 pm
#4 RE: Leopoldo Siano's book on KLANG reply

I am very sorry, that it is not yet easy to find my book. I hope in few days, the problem can be overcome.
Anyway, the book can be ordered sending an email to the publisher (Mr. Cubasch, Verlag "Der Apfel"): office@verlagderapfel.at
(By the way, I did not finish the revision of my manuscript in autumn 2013, but in sommer 2013...).

Ulrich Offline

Tue May 20, 2014 4:18 pm
#5 RE: Leopoldo Siano's book on KLANG reply

During the last few days I read Leopoldo's book - here now some remarks on it:
The book is a thesis at Cologne university (Prof. Christoph von Blumröder). Who ever has experiences with the genre of a thesis, will know: Normally to read a thesis is a matter of patience; it uses to be written in a very dry and so to speak "scientific" style. In contrast to that is this book: It is very elegantly written (possibly due to the collaboration with Georg Henkel?) and you get a very clear argument on Stockhausen's KLANG-cycle. There are 4 big chapters, in a very good way differentiated from one another. The first deals with the development of the plan to this cycle, and we are very clearly taught what phases the cycle did undergo till it reached its ultimate form. Then there is a big chapter in which the composed hours of the day are analysed. Even here, where the author shows what he has learned as a musicologist, he refrains from purely positivistic explanations. We are not just treated with just counting of pitches, rhythms etc. - always the question of the meaning of a composition is present, and in this way also for the non-expert in musicology (like me) it stays interesting. Even more that is the case in the last 2 chapters, where, coming from KLANG, more general questions of Stockhausen's work are discussed: for instance the question, in which way KLANG leaves the Formel-composition and goes back to serial or dodecaphonic procedures, the meaning of serial thinking, the importance of space-composition, the meaning of time (with very good hints to the interpretation of JAHRESLAUF from DIENSTAG aus LICHT), the relationship Stockhausen - Adorno, the importance of the Urantia-Book, and finally the general character of Stockhausen's work in his relationship to religious and esoteric motives: Everything well informed and explained in a clear and reasonable way. Sometimes I had the impression: it is a book on Stockhausen in general, starting from his last works and the themes that are important here. Finally the thesis: The works of KLANG have something of sketches; and in a very profound way they mirror main themes of his work in general.
to sum up: An investigation very worth reading and in many ways illuminating. Congratulations, Leopoldo!

Christian Offline

Thu May 22, 2014 4:12 pm
#6 RE: Leopoldo Siano's book on KLANG reply

Finally I could order Leopoldo's book at the editor. I told them that it is still not available in book stores but that doesn't seem to bother them at all... strange editor!

«« TEXTE 11-17
 Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software