You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 0 replies
and has been read 218 times
 Works
uatu Offline

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:21 pm
COSMIC PULSES - What about those timbres? reply

The first time I heard COSMIC PULSES I felt a bit "let down" by the timbres used for the initial loops. The glissandi also have a very "digital" sound, as opposed to the analogue tape-transposition glissandi on the early tape pieces. I guess now that I've been living with CP for awhile, I'm kind of used to those timbres and they don't bother me. But I still come across reviews on the web which mention the "cheap electronic piano tone" or whatever.

I guess my question is, what modern electroacoustic works sound "better"? Most modern electronic music has to do with percussive or drone textures and very little to no melodic content. I would be curious to compare CP with other modern electronic works with melodic structures. This is not a "defense" of CP, I'm just curious. I have no trouble believing that Stockhausen didn't really care all that much about the timbres in CP as opposed to the spatial aspects. I'm also wondering because I have been mostly ignoring modern electronic music for the last 10 years and am curious if I'm missing anything....

Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software