You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 13 replies
and has been read 625 times
 Works
pages 1 | 2
Adorján F Offline

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:48 pm
#11 RE: HIMMELFAHRT (Ascension) reply

Thank you for the link! On organ! I´d like to add to the discussion about timbres etc that I spoke to Stockhausen about ASCENSION after having seen the film at Kürten and I told him: "Die Orgel ist ein tolles Instrument." He looked at me very surprised and asked: "Wirklich? So viele Obertöne!" I understood that he objected not to be able to control the overtones which should be easier with the sythesizer. The synthi version sounds sterile to me, even the many timbres make only didactic sense to me. For me, alas, Adorno´s ironic dictum applies: Most people hear the organ and immediately think: Ah, religion! In this case, however, Pawlow´s reflex is appropriate. It is this fitting combination of instrumental and compositional "meaning" that gives ASCENSION its power and charm.

uatu Offline

Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:11 pm
#12 RE: HIMMELFAHRT (Ascension) reply

I think "religion" if the organ is playing major 3rds, p5ths. I think Captain Nemo and Dracula if it's minor 3rds and 2nds :)

Adorján F Offline

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:31 pm
#13 RE: HIMMELFAHRT (Ascension) reply

Depends possibly not only on maior or minor 3rds :) but on the size of the organ and the performance location. Those terrible organs which were used in silent movies etc should not be used for this piece. Let us wait for more performances.

Joe Offline

Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:43 am
#14 RE: HIMMELFAHRT (Ascension) reply

Why not? This is a very intriguing question of performance practice.

If the composer doesn't want overtones in his organ timbres, shouldn't he specify it? Stockhausen left timbre decisions up to the performer in some of his synth music. I say, let them choose and convince that their choice is valid!

pages 1 | 2
 Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software