You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 17 replies
and has been read 722 times
 General Items
pages 1 | 2
Adorján F Offline

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:09 am
#11 RE: Stockhausen Metronome reply

Jerry asked why anybody should know better than Stockhausen about the necessary tempi for his works. I do not think that Stockhausen would have approved that a performer would express his "freedom" of interpretation by changing tempi. Quite the contrary, I am sure that he was convinced that "Werktreue" is crucial for the performance of his work, and he saw himself as a composer who added much to the evolution of compositional technique especially by the refinement of tempo. Therefore, it is not the question whether one is able to discriminate metronome .5 differences but to stick as much as possible to the goal of becoming able to do this. (I just want to add that Stockhausen claimed to be able to discriminate 1 dB differences in the studio which seemed to be impossible for his sound engineers. So that is a goal, too.)

Joe Offline

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:58 pm
#12 RE: Stockhausen Metronome reply

Let's not forget that he also claimed to have not only perfect pitch, but perfect frequency.

Adorján F Offline

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:54 pm
#13 RE: Stockhausen Metronome reply

Hm.

Jerry Offline

Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:26 am
#14 RE: Stockhausen Metronome reply

Joe, while I understand the difference, I cannot recall Stockhausen saying he could unfailingly identify frequency as distinct from pitch. Where did you find that, or was it something he said in your presence?

Joe Offline

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:42 pm
#15 RE: Stockhausen Metronome reply

At the first Sound Projection class in 2008, Kathinka and Brian handed out a frequency chart as they explained that Stockhausen had perfect frequency.

Jerry Offline

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:56 am
#16 RE: Stockhausen Metronome reply

Hi Joe,

Did they explain how Stockhausen discriminated between frequency and pitch? What I mean is, how would he describe the difference, since pitch is the subjective response produced by frequency, influenced by other factors such as intensity?

uatu Offline

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:35 pm
#17 RE: Stockhausen Metronome reply

I'd like to see the frequency chart if you could post a scan...unless it's just basic info like A=440, etc...

Joe Offline

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:29 pm
#18 RE: Stockhausen Metronome reply

The chart is a fairly unremarkable list of frequencies and their pitch correlation. There was not much discussion of Stockhausen's ability to discern the differences in hertz levels, just a statement that he was able to.

pages 1 | 2
 Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software