You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 13 replies
and has been read 665 times
 Works
pages 1 | 2
uatu Offline

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:04 am
#11 RE: FREITAG aus LICHT: Electronic music reply

That's amazing that you even found this example. I can't think of another case where something with actual audible rhythmic articulation was left out of the score. Oftentimes the score includes a diagram of the mixing board, sometimes with actual electrical schematics, but in this case I wish that this rhythmic articulation had been included as well. Rest assured I'll be looking at those sketches as well!

ipar1306 Offline

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:02 am
#12 RE: FREITAG aus LICHT: Electronic music reply

I think this could involve an incredible amount of pages. As I understand it, all of the long droning notes in the electronic layer of FREITAG are elaborated in different ways - in this case rhythmically - but in other cases in other ways, such as through microtonal shifts in the pitch, extremely detailed adjustments to the dynamics, the timbre, and so on. So I assume this means there is a huge amount of sketches outlining all of this (in fact Kathinka said they might not be able to get it all scanned by July!). Still, I would love to have permanent access to it all!

uatu Offline

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:18 pm
#13 RE: FREITAG aus LICHT: Electronic music reply

Hmmm..this is tempting me to actually do a höranalyse ("listening analysis") on this aspect since it will still be half a year before Kurten. It's not as if I don't have enough to chew on for FREITAG already for that post, but things like that are exactly the kind of thing I'm interested in writing about.

Off topic a bit if you don't mind, but I've been revamping the DIENSTAG entries on my Stockhausen reference blog (JAHRESLAUF is nicer looking now) and one idea I just had was to do a höranalyse of each of the shots and crashes in OKTOPHONIE and make them "visual" somehow. Paul Miller assembled all the data in his superb thesis "Stockhausen and the Serial Shaping of Space" and it would be nice to have the movement data presented in some kind of "audience-friendly" way... When I have time I guess.

ipar1306 Offline

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:59 am
#14 RE: FREITAG aus LICHT: Electronic music reply

Thanks so much for the tip about Paul Miller's thesis. I have just located it on ProQuest and am really looking forward to reading it. I love your idea of somehow doing a visual representation of the shots and crashes in OKTOPHONIE. It must be incredible to hear this piece in octophonic sound and actually experience everything going up and down and around. I imagine it really must feel like being in the midst of a war.

pages 1 | 2
 Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software