You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 2 replies
and has been read 242 times
 Works
uatu Offline

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:42 pm
CARRÉ for 4 orchestras and 4 choirs reply

I wrote a blog article about CARRÉ earlier this year but I recently added a section breakdown after getting a good look at the form scheme. It's a very layered work, and like GRUPPEN and KONTAKTE, it always seems to offer up something new on each listen.

One thing that I thought was very appropriate was that the work was inspired by listening to window vibrations while flying in a jet, and ironically in Section 82X (track 78 on the SV CD) a jet actually flies overhead, bleeding into the recording!

Stockhausen: Sounds in Space: CARRÉ for 4 orchestras and 4 choirs

It's a pity I missed the recent Paris performance. Even a 4-channel tape experience would be worth attending I think, if such tapes exist...

Jerry Offline

Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:44 am
#2 RE: CARRÉ for 4 orchestras and 4 choirs reply

Such tapes certainly exist. The commercially released recording on DG (reissued in the Stockhausen Complete Edition) was mixed down from a four-channel original, and that four-channel recording was projected in a concert at the Stockhausen Courses a few years ago. Not quite the same thing as a live performance, I'm sure, but it was the closest thing to it I have heard so far.

uatu Offline

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:09 pm
#3 RE: CARRÉ for 4 orchestras and 4 choirs reply

Thanks Jerry! I just got the 5.1 surround mix of the Schick/Avery KONTAKTE dvd and one hopes someday CARRÉ could get a release from these CARRÉ tapes, or perhaps a new live recording could be presented this way. Even live, it's not always easy to get that seat in the "sweet spot"!

Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software