You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 2 replies
and has been read 1.664 times
 Works
uatu Offline

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:10 pm
SIRIUS blog post reply

For most of the last year I've been doing articles on Stockhausen's works, Opus by Opus. I try to make them not too technical, and at least understandable by a 1st year music student. One of the great by-products is that writing about these things makes me actually research them and I always discover new ways to appreciate the works. Anyways, I've just posted an entry on SIRIUS where I attempted to point out all of the TIERKREIS melodies. I found it to be helpful in following the rotation of the wheel.

http://stockhausenspace.blogspot.com/2014/11/opus-43-sirius.html

Joe Offline

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:58 am
#2 RE: SIRIUS blog post reply

Uatu and I had the pleasure of meeting last night and talking Stockhausen for several hours. He's only the 3rd Stockhausen completist I know on the island!

ipar1306 Offline

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:28 pm
#3 RE: SIRIUS blog post reply

And another excellent blog post from Uatu too. They're great blogs - striking a really good balance between being comprehensive and accessible, managing to achieve just the right amount of both, as well as being beautifully presented. Great work!

I'm not sure how many Stockhausen completists there are on my island (Australia), but I am thrilled to be one of them!

We had a tremendous performance of SIRIUS here in September, which I have written about in another post. It is such an exciting work, and one where the inventiveness of the polyphony continually staggers me. Nicholas Isherwood, who sang the bass part here, described it as Stockhausen's 'Art of the Fugue'. I can see the point of that comparison, in its ingenious working out of polyphonic possibilities from simple melodic source material.

Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software