You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 2 replies
and has been read 154 times
 General Items
ipar1306 Offline

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:01 pm
Vale Jerry Kohl reply

I presume many of the people who participate in or read this forum will already be aware of the sad and sudden passing of Jerome Kohl very recently, but I thought I would just mention it here in case some have not heard this very sad news.

Jerry has of course been a longtime contributor to this forum and, as one of the world's most respected musicologists, especially on Stockhausen's music, his contribution to Stockhausen scholarship and to an understanding of his music has been utterly remarkable. He has curated the Stockhausen entries on Wikipedia, written extensively on Stockhausen's music in journals and books, played major roles in the translation of articles and writings by others, including by Stockhausen himself, and has always generously and kindly shared his thoughts and knowledge with anyone who approached him with a question.

He was a lovely man and I am sure the whole Stockhausen community is deeply saddened to hear that he has gone. But it is also a wonderful and happy thing that we have his insights and knowledge still with us, and the memories of his soft, gentle humour and his kind, giving personality still continuing to warm us.

Ed of Yarm Offline

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:09 am
#2 RE: Vale Jerry Kohl reply

Yes, so sad to hear that one of KH's best supporters has gone. Sounding like "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda".....

Al Moritz Offline

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:37 pm
#3 RE: Vale Jerry Kohl reply

It is sad to hear of Jerry's passing. He was a great guy. He edited a number of my texts, and he was always passionate to discuss the music and share his knowledge. We often intensely discussed what we heard, especially in Stockhausen's electronic music which frequently was a journey of aural discovery for both of us. This could lead to long email chains.

When we worked on the detailed guide through Hymnen, Jerry took it upon himself to discover all the hymns coming through shortwave radio in the first segment of the Region I. He also did the turntable experiment to help me find out how the famous transition at the beginning of Region II really worked. Jerry often went the extra mile.

Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software
Datenschutz