You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 4 replies
and has been read 391 times
 Concerts
Christian Offline

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 am
MOMENTE in Monaco, Cologne and Paris reply

I went to the first performance of MOMENTE in Monaco yesterday. More performances are in Cologne tomorrow and Paris next week.
My impression: It did not have quite the level of the 98's MOMENTE I saw in Zürich. The WDR choir was too much "well behaving", I missed the joy and crazyness, especially in the first part. But I also must say that the whole ensemble became much stronger and convincing in the later parts.
The concert audience was rather small so I hope it will be bigger in Cologne and Paris. The Paris concert seems to be sold out.

Jerry Offline

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:41 am
#2 RE: MOMENTE in Monaco, Cologne and Paris reply

Christian, you refer to "the first part" but, in this performance, which would that be? Most performances have followed the 1972 "Bonn" (or "Europa") version, beginning with the long I(k) moment, followed by the D moments. The 1998 version switched I(k) with the I(m) "clapping" moment, restoring the latter to the beginning, as it was in the 1962 and 1965 versions, but otherwise following the order of the 1972 version. Some people have found this rather unsatisfactory, since I(k) is so introductory in character (and is even marked "Vorspiel" in the manuscript score), though I find having I(k) as an introduction to the second half an interesting variant. It would be a lot of work to create an entirely different version, but I have often wondered what the completed MOMENTE might be like with the M moments at the beginning (as they were in the 1965 version) and the D moments ending the piece (except for the "praying moment" I(i), of course).

Christian Offline

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:51 am
#3 RE: MOMENTE in Monaco, Cologne and Paris reply

Yeah, that was not clear, sorry, Jerry!
They started with "Denn die Liebe ist stärker als der Tod" and followd the 1965 version as far as I know.
Peter Eötvös' conducting offered a very clear musical experience - but as I already mentioned that allowed not so much craziness.
As if he was afraid that KS was watching from above... :-)
I hope there will be postings about the Cologne performance tonight...

Jerry Offline

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:52 pm
#4 RE: MOMENTE in Monaco, Cologne and Paris reply

Thanks, Christian. This sounds like it is just what I had hoped to hear one day (the moments of the full composition ordered generally as M-K-D instead of D-K-M). I am very disappointed not to be able to come to Europe to hear it. As for the lack of "craziness", this may be just a case of opening-night nerves. I was told by someone who followed the 1972 performances that they got better and better and, by the end, they were really sizzling. It is too bad that they made the studio recording prior to setting off on that tour, instead of after getting back.

Morag Offline

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:31 pm
#5 RE: MOMENTE in Monaco, Cologne and Paris reply

Perhaps any lack of "sizzling" was also to do with audience dynamics: as Christian wrote, the audience in Monaco was small and got a lot smaller by the end (though polite: none of the shenanigans there used to be in the 50s/60s: they just didn't return after the interval). For me it was my first ever live performance of MOMENTE so I did not have anything to compare it with, but I wonder about the audience dynamics simply because Stockhausen was very sensitive to them ...

Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software