You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 3 replies
and has been read 332 times
 Works
Robin Maconie Offline

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:22 pm
Cosmic Pulses reply

James Stonebraker has kindly posted a paper on Cosmic Pulses. It is somewhat technical since it seals with the problems associated with rotating sounds in a circle of speakers from Kontakte via Sirius and Kathinkas Gesang to the final work, Stockhausen's "spin cycle". Perhaps unsuitable for the Man in the Clapham Omnibus. Readers are welcome to contact me privately through the link at the Stonebraker site.

Christian Offline

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:50 pm
#2 RE: Cosmic Pulses reply

What I'm wondering about:
If you regard the form scheme of CP, you see that almost all layers start and end at a certain time. But there's one exception: following the form scheme, layer 24 should end after 24' but in fact it runs through eight minutes more, til the end at 32', see the stippled line of layer 24 between minutes 24' and 32' in the scheme. You can hear that very well, too. Does anyone know why Stockhausen made this? Is it to "carry" the other layers?

James Offline

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:35 pm
#3 RE: Cosmic Pulses reply
Joe Offline

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:07 am
#4 RE: Cosmic Pulses reply

That's a cute story about Gregorio balancing the sound system. Having projected Cosmic Pulses, I can't imagine trying to do so without testing each individual channel prior to hearing them together. Making sure they are well-balanced insures that you can adjust them in performance as need be.

Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software