You're not registered yet. Click here to register. Credits 
Karlheinz Stockhausen - a platform to discuss his works, to anounce forthcoming concerts and to review them.
You can register here for free.
This topic has 3 replies
and has been read 302 times
 General Items
JBL Offline

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:50 am
My paintings inspired by Stockhausen's music reply

I am fortunate enough to be blessed with synaesthesia, and Stockhausen's music is particularly conducive to such experiences. One thing I learned, not from his music, but from his whole aesthetic, is that one must not attempt to "translate" art one receives in a dream, vision, etc. Pieces like TRANS and the HELICOPTER STRING QT are presented as he dreamed them, without any effort to make them more "understandable" to an audience. So my paintings of my impressions of his works are done in that same spirit (though of course a painting can only be a multi-layered 'snapshot' of a work of music). In this thread I will post a few of them, just for fellow Stockhausen fans' perusal... beginning with the image of STIMMUNG.

uatu Offline

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:12 am
#2 RE: My paintings inspired by Stockhausen's music reply

Cool. It looks like it fits pretty well to me.

Welcome to the forum!

ipar1306 Offline

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:50 am
#3 RE: My paintings inspired by Stockhausen's music reply

Great work ... it's always interesting, I believe, to see how music impacts upon people and the images, or ideas, that they draw upon to capture or translate it. I'd be interested, too, in hearing how your synesthesia works for you - do sounds appear to you as colours, and do these change depending on the timbres, the harmonies, the pitches? I imagine the music of Stockhausen must provide a kaleidoscope of experiences for people with synesthesia.

And yes - welcome to the forum!

Ulrich Offline

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:24 pm
#4 RE: My paintings inspired by Stockhausen's music reply

Stockhausen always wanted that listeners of his works (especially the electronic ones) listen creatively, produce their own images and phantasies that then become part of the work. JBL's work is a very good contribution to STIMMUNG, really impressive and in a special and personal way meeting the point! And it would be very interesting to see, in which way other artists are challenged by this or other works of St. Chagall and Max Ernst were fond of his music - may be many others, too. It would be an interesting subject for research to analyse the influence Stockhausen had and has on painters!

Jump  
I feel that it could be useful to have a discussion-forum on the music of Stockhausen. There are so many people from all over the world, young and old, learned and eager to get into contact with this musical world: musicologists, composers, musicians, music lovers; people who plan concerts - who write books or have to give lectures and so on. So there should be much stuff, many ideas that we can share. And when we have open questions, there may be people who studied just that and could give a hint or a stimulus. A problem might be the English language, but i feel that is the only possibility that many people who are interested can participate. And we can exercise tolerance to mistakes! Thomas Ulrich
Xobor Xobor Community Software